Diabetes Program of Prince Edward Island
The Provincial Diabetes Program of Prince Edward Island provides leadership and expertise in diabetes to maintain or enhance the quality of life for people affected by diabetes in PEI.
As part of our mandate, the program provides diabetes education and management advice to clients and their families who attend the program. The program also plays a leadership role in promoting an awareness of diabetes and prevention in the community by educating health professionals and the public on practices and standards for diabetes care.
To accomplish this mission the program:
- Provides information on living with diabetes to people with diabetes and their families
- Offers Getting Started classes for those new to diabetes
- Offers “At Risk” classes for those identified as being at risk for developing type 2 diabetes
- Offers classes or one on one instruction on carbohydrate counting
- Provides individual assessment and counseling for persons with diabetes of all ages
- Provides ongoing followup for clients
- Initiation and adjustment of insulin with clients and families
- Provides continuing education for health professionals and the public through professional education days and newsletters
- Provides information on-line to clients with diabetes and health professionals working in the field
- In coordination with the pediatricians, provides education and quarterly follow-up to children and adolescents with diabetes